Wednesday, December 30, 2009

FEED ME.

In addition to feeding my belly, I'm aiming to feed my starving brain. 

Having previously consumed a book per week, it's embarassing to admit the turn my reading habits have taken.  For the past two years, if I read just one book bi-monthly, it was a good couple of months. This, of course, exempts the heavy reading required to complete my master's degree.  Pretentious to mention, right?

I don't want to morph back to the mechanical me when I return to work in four short days.  My job, which shall remain mostly nameless, tends to eat away at every part of me.  I've plans to buffer that transition.

I will cook.

I will read.

I will not make it my husband's fault that my life is sofuckingstressful.

So, you know, I ordered a few things.

(Not That You Asked): Rants, Exploits, and Obsessions, Steve Almond
I loved Almond's My Life in Heavy Metal. I read it in 2002 as part of the required reading for one of my creative writing undergraduate courses.  I felt electric while and after reading it.  It's trite, but it's the only way I can describe that churning of emotion when you know. I wanted--and will probably want again--Almond to be my well-seasoned, older male friend who told excellent stories and smoked too many cigarettes.

Things I've Learned From Women Who've Dumped Me, Ben Karlin
Part of Boldtype's "20 body part covered book covers," I ordered this one primarily because its contributors include Andy Richter, Stephen Colbert, and Nick Hornby.  I mean, the first story begins, "When I was a child, sex was awesome.  Of course, when I was a child, I didn't have to deal with it."  I will bet against myself that I will read this one first though I've planned to start with The Motion of the Ocean.

The Motion of the Ocean, Janna Cawrse Esarey
Jen Lancaster included this title as part of her recommended beach reads.  Though even her own Wikipedia article describes her work as "chick lit" and it's too cold for the beach,  I'm risking it.  Chick lit or not, her blog is funnny.  Besides, I read the entire Twilight series.  Four times.  I can bear a beach read.

No comments:

Post a Comment