Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Cremeni Mushrooms, Polenta, and Asparagus.

Because Andrew is on his way over to Ryan's house, I'm investing the time in getting this evening's meal post overrr with.

Following Martha's "Grocery Bag" menu from the January issue of  Everyday Food magazine, I made creamy cremeni mushrooms over broiled polenta and asparagus.  I wasn't impressed with the polenta and mushrooms, but Andrew said it tasted like "polenta-based stroganoff."  From what I've tasted of my mother-in-law's version of beef stroganoff, he is wrong, wrong, and more wrong. 

In all fairness, it's not that I needed or deserved any more fat or cream.  I got my fill of the greasy deliciousness that is Cracker Barrel this morning after a successful car inspection.  Nine-hundred-and-fifty-three calories later, thankyouverymuch.

Ingredients:
  • 16 Ounces of Cremini Mushrooms
  • 1 Roll of Prepared Polenta
  • 1 Bundle of Fresh Asparagus
  • 2 Tablespoons of Heavy Cream
  • 3/4 Cup of Chicken Broth
  • 3 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
  • Salt & Pepper
Step-by-Step Directions:
  1. Slice the mushrooms into one quarter-inch thick pieces.  Place the pieces into a colander.  Thoroughly rinse the mushrooms.  Allow to dry on a clean towel.
  2. Heat one tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large pan.  Add the mushrooms. Saute for five minutes.
  3. Add three-fourths cup of chicken broth to the mushrooms.  Simmer over medium heat for another five minutes.
  4. Wash the asparagus and prepare for broiling by snapping the asparagus at its natural breaking point.  Reserve the "bush" ends; discard the woody stalk ends.
  5. Place prepared asparagus into a bowl and drizzle one tablespoon of vegetable oil over the asparagus.  Toss the mixture to evenly cover the vegetables.
  6. Place seasoned asparagus on one-half of a baking sheet.
  7. Add two tablespoons of heavy cream to the simmering mushrooms.  Stir.  Remove from heat.
  8. Slice the prepared polenta into twelve equal pieces.  Gently brush each side with the final tablespoon of vegetable oil.
  9. Place the oiled polenta onto the remaining half of the baking sheet.  Salt and pepper the asparagus and polenta to taste.  Broil for six minutes.
I served the mushrooms over the polenta.  I honestly can't recall how it was "supposed" to be served as I didn't keep the picture that accompanied the recipe.

The recipe serves four.  Each serving is a light 298 calories, which makes it awesome to serve on a day when you plan to have a meal out.  Even with my feast-made-for-two this morning, I'm within my calorie goal for today.

Please believe me when I say that my Blackberry's camera phone only makes everything look inedible.  Usually, it's good.



No comments:

Post a Comment